Sunday, January 02, 2005

"I'm the tax man."

We built our present home in 1990. We were the first home to go up in our development. One day as we were meeting with the builder to finalize some plans, he mentioned that there would be a water retention area between the properties. This was being mandated by the City. Further, the water retention area needed to be managed since it was common ground for the neighborhood. Consequently, there was a need for a home owners association. I jokingly said; “ I want to be the President.”

There is a lesson here. If you want to be a smart ass, be prepared for the consequences. It’s been 14 years and I’m still the president. My only responsibility is to collect and remit $10.80 each year to the County to cover the property taxes. Now divide that by 26 homes. Yeah… it’s a huge amount of money, but there are still people who I have to chase around for the payment. There is one family that hasn’t paid in three years. I keep hoping they will put their house up for sale so I can file a lien for $1.26 as my way of saying thanks for the cooperation. Anyhow, it’s that time of year again. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Christi said...

That sounds like a pain. Don't have too much fun!