Thursday, August 03, 2006

It's a Summer Camping Vacation Part I

We attempted to take a camping vacation.

Our son recently purchased a pop-up camper. It is a really nice unit that he purchased far under value. So when he brought it home last spring, our recollections of cool summer evenings by the campfire, gazing at the starlit skies, and holding hands under the moonlight caused us to make a reservation at Salt Fork State Park. Of course the day we made the reservation it was a perfect 78 degree day with about 35% humidity. It was the kind of day that doesn't last in NE Ohio.

The last few weeks have brought some really nasty weather patterns. We have had unbelievable downpours resulting in massive flooding throughout the area. We have had several days of 90+ degree days and 90+% humidity.

So as we got closer to our departure day, we joked that we would be faced with either torrential rain, or record breaking heat...

As I loaded firewood into the truck last Sunday night, the sweat poured off of me. I kept thinking...we have central air in our house.

Then, I loaded the bbq grill on to the truck, and packed the charcoal and lighter fuel and thought...Cooking outdoors without the benefit of eating indoors can be a buggy, hot, muggy nightmare...but Robin is really excited about this. Put on a sweatband Jim.

Tim, took me out and showed me how to set up the camper and make everything work. Then he told me that the trailer lights were out because the connection had dragged on the highway all the way home from Marblehead the night before. That's ok I thought, "I can work on that first thing in the morning... while it is still relatively cool out".

9:00am Temperature is already 85 degreees. Wow... the pool sure looks nice.

We planned to leave at 11am. We would have made it too, if the trailer hitch would have opened properly and locked on to the ball. Ten or fifteen minutes of jumping up and down on the hitch like the gorilla in the old Samsonite commercial, finally got it locked up...One last shower and we were on our way...to the gas station to put air in the trailer tires.

11:35am We are finally on the road. The Ranger is doing a pretty good job of pulling the trailer except for a some acceleration challenges on the highway ramps.

12:30pm We're both getting hungry already. So, a stop at Wendy's was in order. Beside, Chloe had to pee. ( oh yeah, we brought the puppy ). So while Robin went in to get food, I took Chloe out to drain. Not being accustomed to travel, she developed "public urination anxiety" and chose instead to bark and whine incessantly in the general direction she last saw Robin.

12:50pm Back on the road. Gretta the GPS lady says we'll be there by 1:37pm. Although she keeps updating her predictions based on my speed. We were picturing the GPS lady sitting at a desk with maps and calculators spread out in front of her...I named her Gretta. Robin doesn't like that name so if you can think of something better send me a comment. Until then I will continue to call her Gretta. )

1:38pm Arrival at Salt Fork State Park...

End Part I

No comments: