Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Loyalty

I had lunch with an old friend today. This is a guy who started out as a business acquaintance, but over time became a buddy. I think one of the reasons for our friendship is that we are both “high D” personality types that relate on many levels and have the same work ethics. More importantly, he understands and appreciates loyalty.

When I left my career two years ago, I discovered many people who had appeared to be friends, were merely using me for the connection to my company. I found this out, when they stopped calling me, and/or stopped returning my calls when I was no longer in a position to give them business, or provide them with show tickets. I guess I shouldn’t have been so naïve’.

My friend Mark, on the other hand continued to help me network and he hired me on for some special projects. He appreciated me for my talent and ability. More importantly, he kept in touch with me when all I had to offer was friendship.

On my way to meet Mark for lunch, I received a call from another business acquaintance. I will spare you the details, but this guy wouldn’t know loyalty if it bit him, and he proved it today.

When it all jumps off, life and business are about integrity, honesty, ethics, and loyalty. Without those attributes you get Enron.

Mark will probably read this. I didn’t necessarily write this for him to read. But I’m glad he will, because people should know they are appreciated. Loyalty deserves honor.

No comments: