Tuesday, February 22, 2005

All the news, that's fit to ignore..

Well, here we go again…the TV News reported last night, that there is a serious potential danger that your cell phone might blow up. Of course by the time the story was over, they revealed that there have only been 115 instances in the last three years nationwide. Of course each of those instances had to do with mitigating circumstances, like the user shorting out the battery connections, a faulty charger shorting out, or the user leaving the phone on the stove. Of course, the news reporters conducted their own tests. They were able to cause several cell phones to short out. Oh, did I mention that this was only after they removed the safeguards from the battery, placed it on a hot stove, or purposely shorted out the battery terminals.

What is going on with TV News and the cell phone industry? First it was unfounded accusations that using cell phones would cause brain damage. When that didn’t work the media attempted to create a panic insinuating that cell phone usage is a leading cause of traffic crashes. That has petered out, so now they want you to believe that your cell phone might explode for no apparent reason.

I may be oversimplifying things, but I tend to look at the world through my own experiences…

I have been using cell phones since their inception in the early 80’s. I have never had an accident because of my cell phone. You might disagree, but I have not yet suffered any brain damage. My cell phone has never spontaneously combusted.

I don’t know anyone with brain damage from cell phone use. I know plenty of people with “brain damage” from watching TV News. In 14 years of experience ( although limited ) in law enforcement, I have NEVER worked an accident scene where the cause was attributed to cell phone use. I don’t know anyone who has been in an accident because they were on their cell phone. I do know people who have had accidents because they were applying make-up, changing a CD, reading the paper, or just driving with their head up their butts. I don’t know anyone who has had their phone catch on fire, or explode.

Part of me wishes that cell phones could easily explode. In fact, I wish there were a trigger mechanism that I could control remotely…Because I happen to know that virtually every TV News Reporter carries a cell phone…

1 comment:

Todd said...

They trot out this story EVERY time it's sweeps season! Never fails!