Saturday, December 04, 2004

Happy Birthday Melissa...love, Dad

We arrived home around midnight and after a quick snack, went to bed.

Around 3am Robin woke me up and said we needed to get to the hospital. We threw her pre-packed suitcase into the car and drove quickly to Southwest Hospital. After a very short wait, she was taken to surgery. I sat in the waiting room. There was a movie on the TV. It was in black and white. All I remember of it was that there was a police car driving endlessly on a mountain road with its single light flashing and its siren wailing. It seemed like that was the entire movie. I still don’t know what movie it was.

I should have been nervous but I don’t think I was. I should have been more concerned about the future, but I wasn’t.

After what seemed like several hours of watching the police car winding through the mountains, a nurse appeared in the doorway. She was pushing a small glass crib. She said; “Would you like to meet your daughter?” I knelt beside the crib and looked into the wide eyes of a newborn. The nurse told me to talk to her, “she knows who you are”. I stood up to see her through the open top of the crib rather than through the glass sides. Her big blue eyes followed me… In that instant, my life was changed forever.

All that happened yesterday; December 6, 1980.

No comments: