Friday, December 08, 2006

Imagine


I was never a huge Beatles fan. I liked them of course, but there were other bands that I liked better. I actually appreciated the individual musicians more as they went their separate ways.


December of 1980 was a special month for us. Our first child ( Melissa ) was born on December 6. After some tense weeks anticipating a c-section delivery we were relieved, ecstatic, and exhausted in the days immediately following her birth.


Since Robin and Melissa were both in the hospital and I was running between home, work, and the hospital neither Robin or I paid any attention to TV. In fact we didn't hear of John Lennon's death until Robin's brother Scott called us from his home in Manhattan.


Melissa has such a strong love of music. Perhaps it is because we always had music playing in the house and car. We sing, and of course we sang to her even before she was born.


Melissa's musical tastes are eclectic to say the least. She would have been a Beatles fan. Especially in their 70's style. I'm sure that she would have loved John Lennon.


It is hard for me to believe that She as well as Tim and Stef grew up not knowing John Lennon as a living, creative force. It angers me that this was stolen from them and their generation.


A few years ago, Robin and I strolled through Central Park, and sat for a few minutes in Strawberry Fields. We looked across the street toward that fateful spot where John Lennon's life was stolen from him and from the world. I felt an emptiness. I am reminded of that today.


I often wonder what the great musicians of the world would do with today's technology. Imagine Bach with a sequencer. Imagine Beethoven with computerized notation software. Imagine Mozart with digital equipment and digital lighting controls. Imagine John Lennon having been able to finish the musical dreams within him.


Imagine.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I also wish I could see a live Zeppelin concert. What a rush that would be. Thank God for VHI Classic!