Wednesday, February 04, 2009

How was your January?

Ok.. so I promised to post more often and the last you heard from me was Christmas.
My dog ate my post, it snowed, I had a bad cold, nobody likes me at school, I couldn't find my keys, I tried to call and kept getting a busy signal, my computer crashed, traffic was horrible...

Enough excuses.

I have just been too busy. I started a new position and have been embroiled in speaking engagements, a major renovation, wrapping up 2008 files and starting new ones for 2009. PLUS... I have to make dinner every night, or else my wife will beat me.

OK, OK... no more excuses.

I was driving down I-71 the other day and I saw a bumper sticker on a car that read; " Warning, Child on board". I wonder, just how bad is this kid? Just to be safe however, I slowed down, and changed lanes. Who knows, maybe the kid had a gun or something.

So what is up with bumper stickers? Are they really necessary? Other than fearing your child, does anyone really care if you have your kid on board? I don't care what your other car is. I don't care who you support politically, and If "the van is rockin", good for you. Just make sure you keep both hands on the wheel.

Anyhow, my "favorite" newspaper is at it again. Last week, leftist writer Connie Schultz suggested in her column that cell phone use in cars should be outlawed. ( I wonder how much business her husband Sharrod Brown does while driving?) Anyhow... in typical Plain Dealer fashion, they did NOT print my comment on her editorial, so I provide it for you here....

I called it... "Walking and Chewing Gum"

I don’t know why I keep doing this to myself. I read your column and vow not only to never read it again, but also to cancel my subscription to the PD. But alas, it is like trying not to look at a car wreck.

Your recent opinion regarding driving while speaking on a cell phone may be the one that puts me over the edge. One study in Utah, (the State of polygamy and inter family marriage) claims that driving while using a cell phone is the same as driving drunk. And you jump on the band wagon like you’re heading for the Democratic Convention on a party bus. All because you can’t pay attention to your driving if your mouth is operating.

I was one of the first 800 cell phone users in Cuyahoga County way back in the early 80’s. I have logged ten’s of thousands of miles while transacting business, handling family emergencies, making small talk with my family members, and from time to time reporting traffic accidents and drunk drivers. I have no moving violations and the only accident I have ever had was this past summer when an uninsured, unlicensed driver slammed into me at a traffic light. As she ran away from the scene, I used my cell phone to call the police and track her down.

The study you cited states that while on the phone people tend not to look from side to side. I would suggest that these same people don’t pay attention even when they aren’t on the phone. Perhaps the real problem is that there are too many people on the road who just don’t know how to drive. So rather than limit my freedoms even further, by outlawing cell phones while driving how about we attack the real problem. Let’s require on road driving tests every four years for EVERYONE. Those who don’t pass would be required to take on road driving classes and be re-tested until they can prove that they are capable of driving in all road conditions. If we truly want safer roads, let’s enact some legislation that could truly do some good.

Meanwhile Connie, schedule yourself a voluntary on road test and make an appointment to have your car radio, ashtrays, & cup-holders removed from your vehicle.

No comments: