Friday, December 19, 2008

Electronic Excuses

I am such a lousy friend.

Two days ago, my best friend celebrated his birthday. And I forgot.

Tom is several years younger than me and I have known him since he was about 8 years old. Despite the age difference we have so much in common that we have been friends for many years.

We share a of love of technology. He always has the latest in smartphones, projection systems, computers etc. There was a time when we would compete for who had the latest and greatest. I finally gave up. He is too quick for me.

So how did I forget his birthday? I blame technology. There was a time when I would take out my trusty Franklin Planner and write down important dates and events. Then several times a day I would turn to the appropriate day page to make notes and would view the reminders. Today, thanks to Tom, I carry a Blackberry. He got one so I had to get one. I keep my calendar on it. Of course as the day moves forward it advances the appointments. So if I have an "all day event" it disapears as the day wears on. Consequently, if I don't take action first thing in the morning, there is a pretty good chance that I will forget about the early reminder.

So you see, it is actually Tom's fault that I forgot his birthday.

Happy belated birthday Tom.

I am such a lousy friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's cause you still have that lousy Blackberry "Pearl". C'mon man...the Curve, the Storm.... Get with the 80's!

Thanks - and you're a great friend!

Tom