Thursday, July 07, 2005

Where did everybody go?

About a week ago, a name from my youth popped into my head, and I wondered "whatever happened to Russ?" I went online and put his name into the smartpages search and nothing came up. I got busy with something else and didn't do any further research. Then two nights ago my wife and I walked into a local ice cream shop. As we moved away from the counter, Russ was standing there with his family. It's probably been more than 20 years since we last saw each other. I live in Ohio, he lives in Florida. He just happened to be visiting the area, and there we were...Buddies from high school both amazed at the chance meeting, and both looking "exactly the same" as we did back in '73.

Time is a strange science. Our memories stand still for us so that we can call upon them anytime. But time marches on. We leave high school graduation vowing to stay in touch. Then a lifetime later we run into each other by chance and wonder...where did it go? Why didn't we stay in touch.

The strangest part of this occurance with Russ, is that it is second time this has happened. Back in 1984 I found myself wondering what he was up to, then ran into him working in a retail store in New Philidelphia, Ohio a few days later.

I really think we are supposed to stay in touch, so through the miracle of email, I will do my best. If however for some reason we don't, Russ will live on in my memory banks to visit anytime, just like Steve, Kathy, Marty, Lee, Janet, Jeff, Dean, Mona, Loretta, Jill, Dan, Glen, Bill, Mark,Laurice, Bob, Alex, Lucy,Denise........

Do something cool for yourself... Make contact with an old friend that you haven't seen in a long time. It will refresh your soul.

No comments: